Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Colors of the Sky Quilt - its OK to laugh

This quilt started because it was time to use some of my scraps. And I read somewhere that adding grey to a color scheme will 'tone it down'. So I built this scrap quilt sewing together horizontal strips of scraps separated by greys. As I was building it - the rainbow of colors led me to arrange them as a sunset - greens on the bottom changing to some blues then reds/yellow/oranges and back to darker blues at the top. And its name became - Colors of the Sky. But I think it is maybe better called - Joseph's Coat of Many Colors.

When I finished quilting it - the drop on our bed wasn't as long as I had hoped - so I sewed on a backing extension - mounted it back onto the gammill, positioned a piece of batting - and used the gammill to first 'piece' the two strips I was adding to the top - then quilt them. That addition is the green and purple on the left above. But now the quilt touched the floor - too long - so I cut off 6" of that extension and the quilt is now perfect!!! lol!!

And of course that 6" piece I cutoff did not go into the trash - it is now the beginning of another quilt!!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow! It's really pretty, not laughable! Though the use of color does make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really interesting--I like the light spot in the center a lot.
    I have a bin load of scraps, and I keep thinking a scrappy quilt has to be all planned out and complicated. Here, you've shown me a scrappy quilt can be simple, and therefore very effective! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful quilt! And I totally see a sunset, with the dark sky on top, the brilliant sun in the middle (that is what the gray strips do for me - it looks like white light in the middle of the yellow), and the green of the land. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt! Bright and colorful and a great way to use those scraps. Don't you love that long arm. I have an APQS and wouldn't be without it! Great jobQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great and easy way to put those scraps to good use!!And all on a long-arm!!
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Nothing to laugh at.. just smile..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must have been asleep when the talk of gray was going on! I love this piece! colors are wonderful together!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No laughing here, but certainly smiling! The colors are lovely and what a great way to use up some scraps. Great job!

    ReplyDelete