Monday, February 1, 2010

Ice Dying

Inspired by recent posts on quiltart.com about dying fabric with snow - I had to try my own version - using chunks of ice still outside this morning.
(Picture above) This is the same piece of fabric shown below, dried, heat set with an iron and after I have handpainted a spray of daisies on it.
This piece of unbleached muslin I pressed on top of the ink covered ice. Some of the pigment laden ice chunks stuck - you can see them shining in the picture. Interesting effect tho - after the pigment had leached out of the ice and as the ice continued to melt - it created a 'bloom' with little pigment in the middle. It is still very wet in this picture.

Ice chunks laying on top of scrunched unbleached muslin - and the tsukineko inks drizzled on top - well, OK, they are more poured than drizzled - I used a bit too much pigment.
So what happend to the fabric under all this ice? It is laying out in the garage drying - more pictures needed.


7 comments:

  1. Interesting result! I've never used the all purpose inks in this way - they are far different than dyes, so that must be the reason for the different result. Beautiful work!

    QuiltersStitchTogether

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW who would of thought to use the ink instead of the dye. Great piece can't wait to see the final piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool... I might have to try ice next time.. since almost all our snow is gone... hopefully not for good.. but, what is left is really dirty!! Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very cool... I might have to try ice next time.. since almost all our snow is gone... hopefully not for good.. but, what is left is really dirty!! Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ice dyeing turned out beautifully. Now I'm going to have to try that - and I like the idea of using the inks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea - inks instead of dyes. Interesting results.

    ReplyDelete