Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ice Dyed Daisies and Soy Experiment

Ice storm last Friday and today I find daffodils up, about 6" tall - sure does my heart good. I am ready for spring as I used the fabric I dyed using the ice from last weeks storm to make this daisy top. I needed one more piece of dyed fabric after the ice was all melted - so I used crushed ice from the refrigerator - it worked great! That piece is in the lower left corner.
Experimenting with purchased soymilk to size cotton fabric, I painted on this piece with watercolors. I understand it must cure for at least 3 months before washing. All the soybeans that are grown in this county - I have been unable to find any for sale - so that is why I am trying purchased soymilk.

6 comments:

  1. I used Silk soy milk too to soak my silk cloth in painted it after 24 hours and let the painted cloth set for 24 hours and washed before I began the quilting. Corresponding with Felisa, she said she did not wash her cloth before quilting and some of her pieces 3 plus months or more she still has not washed out the soy milk.
    Really did like the fact that there was no bleeding.
    Oh by the way love your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I marking time on a soy experiment also. But I'll be washing before you! The pear is beautiful - I certainly hope you don't have any regrets after washing.
    My watercolor bloomed horribly on the sized fabric. I fear my experiment is doomed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work with commercial soy milk all of the time, if you use the unflavored, with no dyes, version you won't have any problems. As for finding soy beans try your local feed or farm store.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iced daisies is an excellent transition from ice to spring in the colours and the composition. Very impressed that you managed to get a 'matching' piece with freezer snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece! I hope the commercial soy milk works for you. Please let us know. I've only heard that it must be milk from actual soybeans to make the paint permanent, but haven't tried either way yet. Thanks for the update on using freezer frost in place of snow. Plan to try that method soon. No snow in FL.

    ReplyDelete