Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Watercolors, Pigment Inks with Leroy


These are pictures of watercolor being applied to fabric using a Leroy pen - which is simply a reservoir and a wire nib. I used a paintbrush to add water to the watercolor paint - then used that same paintbrush to put it into the reservoir. I am applying it to fabric without any sizing - it won't be permanent - but notice how little wicking is happening - as long as I keep the pen moving!
The first picture, the pen is in a Leroy scribe and I used the Leroy lettering templates - to make straight lines and to make numbers and letters - a great way to get words onto an artquilt! In the 2nd picture, the Leroy pen is in a handle for freehand drawing.
This technique was suggested on the quiltart digests - thank you thank you!! I have had these tools and supplies for years - never thought to use them together.

1 comment:

  1. (Here via QuiltArt)
    You've brought back some memories. I vaguely recall using a Leroy to do some drafting a thousand years ago.

    I'm delighted at the idea of repurposing existing tools and materials to gain more control or new capabilities. As soon as I'm done with my current quilt, I'm going to fire up the Raphidographs.

    ReplyDelete