Tuesday, March 16, 2010

God's Creation


Two things really appealed to me in the reference photo for this painting. The first is - look at those eyelashes!! Brooke Shields in her current advertisement for growing longer, thicker eyelashes has nothing compared to this fawn! I had no idea their lasher were so thick and long!

The second thing that appealed to me are the fawn's ears. While living in West Virginia - I was walking in the woods behind our home when I heard a crashing noise coming down the side of Sidling Mountain. I stopped to see what was causing it when into the clearing ahead of me ran four fawns and 3 doe. The fawns started scampering and jumping and playing while two of the doe started grazing. The third doe came a little closer to me (she had not seen me yet) and was the sentry - watching out for any danger. I stayed perfectly still in the shadows but there was bright sunshine behind me so I knew she could see my silhouette. She became very suspicious of that 5'4" slightly overweight silhouette before her - but had not yet raised her tail - which means DANGER! So we stood there, staring at each other - about 20 feet apart.

She also was in light shadow with sunshine behind her - and what amazed me were her ears. They are shaped just like leaves! They are the same size and when backlit - they are the same reddish color as autumn leaves. Sorry folks - evolution didn't select those ears for deer - evolution didn't know that hunting season would be in the fall at Thanksgiving. I became convinced that warm spring day that God's amazing grace created that creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment