Saturday, January 3, 2009

Iris In Inks



This is a fairly short video on using the Tsukineko inks. No stencil - almost freehand. I say 'almost' because there is a pattern under the fabric. The pattern is made from my photo of one of my irises, enlarged and the outside edges of petals, stem and leaves darkened with a pencil.




The fabric is offwhite with a pattern - the white-on-white pattern acts as a resist - so this pretty pattern of flowers shows thru the ink.




My pallette is two inks, Peony purple (a rich, dark pigment) and Spring green. I am using the Fantastix brush tip applicators. The two applicators I am using have been used many times so that they are no longer stiff, the tips are very much brushlike. The only downside to a used applicator is that it loses its point - so finer details become difficult to make.




A close picture of the finished iris is shown also.




These inks work great with stencils - but they are also great used freehand. The flowers and hummingbird shown in the banner for my blog are all painted freehand using these inks.



No comments:

Post a Comment