Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Faces Quilted


Recently there has been a discussion on Quiltart about using faces - and over the past few days I have used two faces in quilts. This one - a deer face. I had planned on adding few quilting stitches to the deer. The quilt is a YSQ (Yard Square Quilt) to be sold in the spring for charity. The batting is Warm & Natural cotton - but under the deer face, I added a piece of wool batting - to help 'fill' it out. But as I worked on it - one thing lead to another - and I heavily quilted the deer. Except for the muzzle - and it poofs out in a delightfully 3d way. The deer was painted with Tsukineko inks - only 3 colors - but in quilting, I used 6 different threads.

This is a detail of a small quilt I made last week called Cast. In it, the face is in profile and dark - with few details. So I stabilized it with Stitch Witchery to the batting - and used very little quilting on it. It is holding well - but I think there must be a better way.


4 comments:

  1. Your deer is fabulous and the quilting lines really enhance it. I think the face looks fine just the way it is, but would have to see the whole quilt.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Johnni, both of these are just lovely. Of course, I am an animal-lover so I especially love your very realistic-looking deer. Your human face is very well-done too ... I like the heavier quilting in th background to bring the face forward. Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are very appealing. I like how the face stands out against the background quilting and the deer is so realistic. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your deer is absolutely gorgeous! It looks like I could reach out and touch real fur...the quilting makes it so realistic! The other piece is great too...very peaceful and contemplative.

    ReplyDelete