Monday, November 17, 2008

A Finished Piece!! Wildflowers at Midnight


This top was shown in an earlier post, unfinished. It is now finished!!! Yay!!! It has become 'Wildflowers at Midnight'. This piece started merely because I had leftover bits of pieces in blacks and darks from another project. (The details of that project escape me right now - oh, if I only had a brain!)




After the top was 'pieced', it desperately needed something.....so I went a little bonkers with the quilting - using many colors, many textures. Then drew in more wildflowers with the quilting stitches. These became subtle, seen but not quite seen, images and textures.....and this piece had an identity - a walk at midnight! Have you noticed at night, when you want to look at something, you have to look beside it to see it. If you look directly at it in the dark, it disappears. That is the effect I discovered from the quilting on this top.




But the bottom right corner still needed something - and so I added a wildflower when the light from a bright moon stikes it - it shines and glistens with color and light. So I recycled the reflective plastic from Folgers' Select coffee bags, cutout leaves and petals and machine appliqued the plastic plant on the quilt top and it became Wildflowers at Midnight.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I teach free spirit design collage and yours is gorgeous, love your ideas and love all the "stuff" including ALL the quilting.
    Girl you have a brain and you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilting and wouldn't have guessed that the flower was recycled material...very cool.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete