Saturday, July 19, 2008

Webblog Created!





We moved from West Virginia to Tennessee in December 2007 - leaving a wonderful and supportive quilt guild. Haven't found a new quilt guild here yet - and have missed sharing work and receiving feedback. This blog is now my way to share.


This quilt is made using Ricky Tim's convergence technique - then adding reverse applique of the painted puppy - a schnoodle! I like painting on fabric with the Tsuniko inks - so easy to use, like painting watercolors and add no weight to the fabric at all - just wonderful. The grey I made by using 2 pigments. And that is their only fault - most of their inks are already blended pigments, so if you combine them further, you get mud! But the ultramarine is a single pigment ink.

The local newspaper in West Virginia ran several articles about how proud the govenor was to be supplying electrical power to the Washington/Baltimore area. To get power there, they were constructing several high voltage lines to cross the state. This quilt is called Cacapon Tears - it is the view from our house with the proposed high voltage lines added. So sad. I hope and pray they have kept them away from schools - the Department of Health even acknowledges a link between exposure to high voltage lines and childhood leukemia.




In 2007 I made this quilt to test a theory that value matters most. I used many fabrics from my stash, sorted them into only 2 values, stacked them, whacked them and sewed them. The name of this quilt...."Color Wins". I thought it had a very good chance of winning the Ugliest Quilt for 2007 award! To make it fun, I punched holes in it, added petals and Boyd's bears.























1 comment: