Saturday, July 19, 2008

Recent work

This small quilt started as just a quick excercise painting animal fur with the inks. I decided to tuck this fox behind a brick wall - and a series is started. It is now the 1st in a series of wildlife in contact with man.


My sisters and I are swapping blocks this year. The rules are we each make 4 identicle blocks, keep one and send one to each sister. For our 3rd swap we also exchanged fat quarters. So my block design is to make 4 sisters - and of course they needed feet and shoes. Legs and feet are made from rolled tshirt material and the shoes are a product called Vetrap - intended to be used on horse's legs and tails. It comes in the most beautiful colors - this jade green works perfect! What a HOOT!






This scene of a goldfinch landing on a purple iris I saw outside of my bedroom window - with no camera at hand. So I reproduced it in a quilt - painted with Tsuniko inks - then heavily quilted.















Scaling the 9Patch. This is a small quilt 11x14 made to portray the help experienced quilters give the beginner. There is a treacherous roller-coaster path one can follow - or just grab the rope and help offered by a quilter already near the top.


This twin sized quilt uses a fabric that fascinated me - solid color honeydew. I have truly begun to believe that it complements - goez with - all fabrics! This quilt started with just grey and the honeydew surrounding many colored squares. It was falling flat! So I added turquoise to it....and it came alive again.








5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! So glad you're sharing your art because you do great work. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always fascinated by people who can paint realistic pictures...I can't believe the lady is on a rock! Amazing!!! Your paintings are great...and how wonderful to combine them into quilts (making them that much better, huh?) Nice, nice work. I epsecially LOVE the fox piece...wow...that one speaks volumes to me.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogland! Your work is wonderful, I especially like the fox and bird on the iris. You've obviously mastered the Tsukineko inks, something I am still struggling with. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! I agree, honeydew goes with evrything. I love the pattern you created with the blocks on that quilt. The sister quilts are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! The DMQG and Acorns & Oaks misses you. I taught a landscape fabric painting class recently using the inks and used the wet on wet method for the sky. I also used the freezer paper masking for part of the class. Phyllis and I took a landscape applique class at the WV quilters show in July in Morgantown. That was a mental health break.
    You are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete