Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Playing with Natural Dyes

A piece of unbleached muslin dyed with yellow and red onion skins, red cabbage and acorn cups.
I don't use onions in my cooking - but I found that in the bottom of the onion bin at the grocery store there are loose dry onion skins. So I brought a few of them home for the dye bath.
I also dropped coffee grounds on top of the rolled fabric. They did nothing!!!!




Mordant - a substance used to set dyes in fabric. Reading thru the information people very graciously sent me - I found suggestions to use salts, vinegars, acids and metals. And because this for me was 'play' - I used salt and silver - two items in the cupboard closest to my stove. The silver I used are the decorative non-edible silver balls used on Christmas cookies. And I think they worked really well - as the darkest stain on the fabric is a cluster of little circular shapes.

1 comment:

  1. okaaaay ... so what are going to do with this??!!?? You must have colored outside the lines a lot as a kid and now you sure think outside the box on different things to do and try. So creative, so talented, so privileged to call you my sister and friend! [JO]

    ReplyDelete